Friday, April 2, 2010

Brown Bear's Adventure

Brown Bear, for those who don't know, is Kimmie's teddy bear. Brown Bear was big brother's teddy bear first. Kimmie loved Brown Bear so much that big brother let her have him many, many years ago. Kimmie named him Brown Bear after her favorite book when she was little, "Brown Bear, Brown Bear what do you see?" (Eric Carle)

Brown Bear is well loved. You can tell by the bald spots. He goes most places with Kimmie. He's even been through surgery with her, more than once. We always make sure we have him when going to a doctor.

Yesterday when we went to the doctor with Kimmie, we parked in the parking garage, rode the elevator to Level 3 so we could walk across the pedway to the office building. Once we arrived in the office building we took another elevator to the floor we needed.

When we were leaving the doctor's office we rode the elevator back to the third floor so we could walk across the pedway again, back to the parking garage. A woman on the elevator was talking to us and exited on the third floor with us. As I was talking to he, Kimmie walked over to the balcony overlooking the lobby and looked down at the fountain. As I continued talking with the woman, it crossed my mind that Kimmie might drop Brown Bear over the rail.

I glanced at Kimmie standing by the rail, she was fine, and then I turned back to the woman as we chatted. When I glanced back at Kimmie she was walking towards me with empty hands. Sure enough, she had dropped Brown Bear.

The woman and I rushed over to the rail and looked down. There lay Brown Bear. Fortunately she had dropped him rather than tossed him, or he might have ended up in the fountain.

BUT, as we looked down at Brown Bear, a lady picked him up and was walking off with him. As this lady was walking off with Brown Bear I started calling down to her, "Lady with the bear, wait, come back, lady with the bear . . . ". The woman I had been talking to started calling down to her as well, "Look up. Look up." I had no idea where the lady was going with Brown Bear.

She did stop and look up. (Whew!) I asked her to put him back and we'd come get him. She asked what floor we were on, said she was coming up and would bring him to us. A minute later the elevator doors opened, she stepped off, handed me Brown Bear and stepped back on the elevator. It happened so fast I hope I said "thank you," I think I did.

And Brown Bear returned to Kimmie's loving arms.

We have so much fun (well, that might be an overstatement) and so many adventures going to the doctors. We never know what might happen, who we will meet, who Kimmie will decide to hug, how people will respond to her . . .

--Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment