Sunday, May 3, 2009

"Radio"

A few years ago a movie came out entitled Radio. At the time I heard a brief review of it and thought I'd like to see it. After it came out on DVD, I picked up a copy for our family.

You may have seen the movie, but if not, it is about a developmentally disabled, young black man who lives in a small southern town. His nickname is "Radio" because he always carries an old radio with him as he walks around town.

The high school football coach befriends this young man. Their relationship and how it changes them is what the movie is about. The impact this friendship has on the young man's life is powerful.

The heartbreaking part is when the young man's mother dies suddenly of a heart attack. She had told him that she would always be there for him, and then she was gone. . . .

I don't know how Kimmie will ever adjust to my being gone. She's very attached and I'm afraid she might walk around signing "where's Mommy, where's Mommy, where's Mommy" while screaming and crying. How to prepare her for the day when that might happen is another mystery. It's a concept I don't think she can truely grasp.

--Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment