Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Pockets

Kimmie has recently discovered pockets. Once a week at school she is taken shopping at Kroger. I send money and a list of 3 or 4 items for her to buy that week. They teach the kids "next dollar" strategy where everything is rounded to the next dollar, so I send bills that she can count out when paying. She always gets change back. One week the note in her agenda said that she insisted on putting the change in her pocket. Sure enough, that's where I found it.

A couple weeks later . . . I had taken the change out of her money pouch to put in a new list and the dollar bills for her to use that week. I left the change on the kitchen counter. That evening as I was taking her to the restroom I discovered she had a whole pocket full of change. Her sister told me that Kimmie found the coins on the counter and carefully picked them up one by one and jammed them in her pocket.

While we ate supper that evening she carefully pulled the coins from her pocket and sorted them. Quarters in one pile, dimes in another, nickels and pennies. There were more nickels than the others, so she picked up the nickels and put them back in her pocket. It was a Wednesday and we went on to church after eating. At church Kimmie carefully pulled out her four nickels to show Grandpa. You could tell that she was very proud of her pocket full of nickels.

Yesterday she stuffed her four beloved shoe strings in her pocket. It was a very full pocket. It made quite a wad.

--Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment