Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Picky eaters

Kimmie is not really very picky about food. We are lucky that way, I am sure many special kids are very hard to keep on a good nutrition diet. In fact, her siblings are more picky -- her sister doesn't like green beans or mushrooms, and her brother won't eat corn or peas. Mom doesn't like peas, but likes corn and green beans.....you get the idea. We usually fix three vegetables, and the house rule is you have to eat two.

Kimmie has had a few memorable moments though.

We (except her sister) like mushrooms in our spaghetti sauce. Kimmie had to gradually acquire a taste. The first time we had them, I gave her a nice spoonful of spaghetti and sauce. She chewed, swallowed, kind of rolling it around in her mouth. After a minute or so, out popped the mushroom and fell in her lap. It was as clean as if it had been washed. Picture a miniature piece of toast out of a toaster, only horizontally. We didn't add the mushrooms again for a long time.

Another day I served Brussels sprouts (I like a lot more variety than the rest of the family). Remember the house rule? I also really try to have the kids taste anything new, even in a small quantity. I put one sprout on Kimmie's plate, and turned to pass the dish.

Her little hand moved so fast it was nearly invisible, picked up the sprout gingerly between thumb and forefinger, deposited it neatly on my plate, and vanished. She sat there with a "Who, me? Nothing unusual here" expression, as everyone else started cackling.

I put it back on her plate, reached for the next dish -- and the same lightening fast maneuver left the sprout next to the others on my plate again. I conceded defeat, and she never did taste the Brussels sprouts. I am not sure anyone else did either, we were all laughing so hard.

--Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment