Sunday, December 14, 2008

Losing Kimmie

We have been fortunate in that Kimmie usually stays pretty close to us. We have never had a problem with her wandering off or getting very far away in a public place. We have only lost track of her a couple times. Once in a large home improvements store when she spotted a piece of play equipment and went to play on it while we were distracted. She wasn't far away and we found her quickly.

Once, however, we did have a good scare while on vacation. We were staying in a condo along North Carolina's outer banks. It was a three bedroom condo to accommodate my parents and the five of us. Kimmie was 5, her brother 7 and her sister 2. Kimmie was sleeping on a mattress on the floor of our bedroom.

One night something woke me up and I got up to check on Kimmie. She was not in her bed. I started looking around for her, moving all the blankets, looking to see if she had rolled off her mattress and under the bed . . . Dad woke up and he started looking for her. We looked under and around every piece of furniture in the bedroom, in the living room/dining room and in the children's bedroom. We looked in the bathrooms, the bathtubs, the closets. We checked all the doors to make sure they were closed and locked. We looked behind curtains, in cupboards. In our minds we knew she had to be there someplace, but it was as if she had vanished completely. During the search, her two-year old sister had awakened and sat up in her bed watching us looking under the beds and in the closet. We each went through the rooms once, twice, three or four times. No Kimmie.

I knew that Dad was concerned when he started getting dressed and putting his shoes on like he was going out beyond the condo to search for her. I was trying to figure out what we would tell the police.

Finally I said that maybe my parents had heard her up and taken her in their room with them. Maybe we should wake them up and check with them. I knocked on their door and asked them if they had Kimmie. They were confused and said, "no." I explained that we could not find her. Like us they insisted that she had to be there someplace, and they began helping us look. Seeing our two-year old sitting up in bed, my Mom went in to check on her. As she walked up to the bed she laid her hand down on the covers that our two-year old had kicked to the foot of the bed in favor of her blankets from home. My Mom picked up a wad of the covers and there was Kimmie grinning up at her. My Mom dropped the covers back in place and called for me. When I went to the door, she picked the covers up again, and there was Kimmie, grinning at me, wide awake, and very aware that we had been looking for her.

I had to sit down and breathe again. She can be a little rascal.

--Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment